North Carolina's best barbecue teams compete,
On Saturday, October 7th, we're calling together the best barbecue chefs in North Carolina and beyond for the
Sir Walter Smoke-Off.
Brought to you by The oak city outreach center AND great crawl Events
Do you like barbecue? How would you like to try the best barbecue that North Carolina has to offer? Great Crawl Events is teaming up with the Oak City Outreach Center to host the 1st Annual Sir Walter Smoke-Off this fall, and you're invited.
We've invited over two dozen BBQ teams to join us at Dix Park for a day of barbecue, music and cold beverages. Teams are competing for the coveted Sir Walter Smoke-Off Golden Pig Medallion as well as $500 in prize money. Best of all, we're raising money for the Oak City Outreach Center and the Partnership to End Homelessness.
Buy your tickets, then bring your picnic blankets and camping chairs, and we'll take care of the rest. Your Pork Passport will let you sample pork from each of our competitors while supplies last, and then cast your vote for the People's Choice. We'll have the best barbecue in North Carolina. We'll have live music from some of Raleigh's favorite local bands. We'll have plenty of cold beer and good wine. This is a family friendly event, and we'll have the KidZone set up for the little ones.
at Dorothea Dix Park
101 Blair Dr
Raleigh, NC 27603
SIGN UP YOUR BARBECUE TEAM
We're inviting the world's best barbecue teams to compete for
Sir Walter's coveted Golden Pig Medallion and
the $500 Grand Prize.
You cook the pork, the people decide. May the best team win!
- Teams are required to provide at least 200 ounces of samples to qualify for competition.
- The Sir Walter Smoke-Off will provide 4 pork butts to each team.
- Teams are invited to bring additional unseasoned pork butts.
- No electricity will be provided.
- Pork must be seasoned and cooked on-site.
- Each team will be assigned a designated area within Dorthea Dix Park approximately 20’ x 20’ of space. More details to follow on this, please let us know how much space you require. We can't accomodate all requests, but we'll do our best.
- Each team’s site will be available at 8pm on Friday, October 6th.
- Each team can unload their equipment near their location on Friday night, October 6th but after unloading must park their vehicles in the designated parking area.
- Each team must ensure that their grills are attended to at all times while on-site.
- Each team will be responsible for cleaning up their area during and after the event.
- Each team will be responsible for ensuring that any grease spills in their areas are prevented and/or cleaned immediately.
- Tasting/Sampling will begin at 12pm Saturday, October 7th 2017
- Judging will begin at 12pm Saturday, October 7th, 2017.
- The Sir Walter Smoke-Off will provide each team their sampling cups.
- Tasting/sample sizes will be approximately 2 ounce cups.
- Teams are required to provide a minimum of at least 100 samples.
- Attendees will be required to purchase a pork passport to taste.
- Each pork passport grants its owner one sample of each teams pork
- The pork passport will also serve as the attendee's voting form, which they will turn into our judging tent after sampling.
SIGN UP YOUR COMPETITION TEAM
Buy your Tickets
Frequently Asked Questions
Are there ID or minimum age requirements to enter the event?
This is a family friendly event and children are WELCOME! There is no age limit to participate, but you must be at least 21+ years old to consume alcoholic beverages. Please bring your ID to redeem your tickets.
What are my transportation/parking options for getting to and from the event?
Your ticket includes parking at one of the 3 parking lots we have reserved for this event. Please note that we have over 400 parking spaces but they'll be given out on a first come first serve basis.
What can I bring into the event?
We encourage you to bring camping chairs, picnic blankets and whatever else you'd like to enjoy the park's amenities. Please note that coolers, and outside beverages are prohibited.
What's the refund policy?
Tickets are non-refundable but they ARE transferrable. If you cannot attend the event, you are free to give or sell your ticket to someone else.
Will tickets and Pork Passports be available for sale at the event?
Yes, but it's cheaper to buy in advance!
*What limits are there on the included drinks?
The Champion and VIP packages include your beer, wine, cocktails, and non-alcoholic beverages. We take responsible alcohol service seriously, and reserve the right to stop alcohol service to any patron we deem overly intoxicated.
Anything else we should know?
This event starts at 12pm and we recommend getting there early to make sure you get to sample pork for every team while supplies last!